Ride the rails around the world!
Train travel is the best!
Traveling by rail takes you back to another time and place. Even on the most modern, super-high speed train, you will see places most people will never lay eyes on, and the scenery will be some of the most amazing you'll ever lay eyes on. There's just something old-school and charming about riding trains. Between the food car, the conductors, and the world flying by outside your window, there's a certain nostalgic appeal to train travel.
Travelers around the world are rediscovering rail travel, and luxury rail cars with private chambers are becoming more readily available everywhere. Whether you just want to get from place to place, or you want to meander through many scenic miles, train travel might be just the thing for you.
Train travel is amazing because of:
- The scenery. It might be just a bunch of trees and mountains and prairies and deserts and lakes and hills, but it's beautiful and fascinating, and you can sit and watch the beauty flow past for hours. There truly is no better way to see the real nature of a country. You'll meander through places almost untouched and delve right into the heart of every city you pass. The best thing? Nobody has to drive, so you can all focus on enjoying each other and the world around you.
- The simplicity. Forget arriving three hours early so you can stand in line for two hours waiting to go through security. In most cases you can arrive 30 minutes ahead of time and walk straight to your platform.
- The convenience. More often than not, the train is going to take you from downtown to downtown. No more schlepping from your hotel to miles out of town to some remote airport. Instead of being stuck an expensive airport transfer you can step off your train and be just moments from your hotel.
- The comfort. Hands down, you will have more room on a train than you will have on a plane. Even in economy seating you can sprawl out and make yourself comfortable. Extra blankets and pillows are almost always available and you can get up and wander about any time you please. You can take advantage of all the public areas to find different viewpoints throughout the train and see the world in a way that's uniquely you!
- The accessibility. It's nice to be able to report that most rail companies have accessibility features for people of all abilities, and they are improving their accessibility features all the time.
Still nervous about traveling by train? The Rough Guides have a bunch of traveling by train tips for you. They talk about train tour in the United States, but the info stand for pretty much anywhere and of course, Travel-for-All is here to help you every step of the way!